Born and raised in Sudbury, Ontario I have always
been interested and passionate towards health and fitness. In May of
1989, I graduated with Honors and was one of only 7 successful graduates
of the first of its kind Physical Fitness and Leisure Management
Program. The program was a perfect fit since it was designed to produce
graduates who would work directly in the health and fitness industry.
In October of 1989 AKFIT Consultants Inc was formed although the
company focused on personal and corporate fitness. The need to provide
quality exercise equipment and service for Northern Ontario became
evident immediately and resulted in AKFIT growing to be Northern
Ontario's largest fitness specialty store. Its success led to the
opening of a second store in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in 2000.
Within the past 24 years I have had my achievements recognized and awarded by several organizations.
In 1995, I was nominated for the Ontario Premier's Award for graduates
who have contributed and made outstanding achievements to the vitality
of their community.
In 1999, I was awarded the Sudbury Business Women Entrepreneur of the
Year, for exemplifying strong business achievements.
In 2004, I was nominated by the Royal Bank of Canada as a candidate for
the Rotman Canadian Women Entrepreneur of the Year in the Innovation
In 2005, I was awarded the Northern Ontario Business Excellence Judges
In 2006, I was once again nominated for the Ontario Premier's Award
graduates who have contributed and made outstanding achievements to the
vitality of their community.
In 2010, I was awarded the Bell Business Excellence Entrepreneur of the
In 2013 I was nominated for the Influential Women of Northern Ontario Entrepreneur of the Year
As part of my continuous involvement in the community I have personally
coached numerous sports teams and have helped with fundraising efforts
for many local causes. I also advocate for promoting health and fitness
within the community.
- Active member since 1989, Physical Fitness and Leisure Management
Advisory Committee for Cambrian College, presently Chair
- 2003, Chair of the Montessori School of Sudbury Marketing Committee
- 2003 member of the Healthy Schools, Healthy Kids Advisory Committee
(community involvement and support in developing health programs for
- 2004 Chair of the Montessori school of Sudbury Fundraising Committee
- 2004, Vice Chair Board of Directors, Montessori School of Sudbury
- 2005 Developed SchoolFit (this is a not-for-profit program designed to
introduce fitness and physical activity in elementary schools)
- 2006 United Way/Centraide Campaign Chair Business Sector
- 2006 Parents council for St-Andrews School
- 2006-2007 Board Member City of Greater Sudbury Chamber of Commerce
- 2012 Guest speaker for Chamber of Commerce International Women's Day
- 2012 Guest Speaker for the 11th Annual Women of the Future Day
My greatest achievement to date came in 1998 in the birth of my daughter
Hailey. Hailey has never made me feel guilty over the choices and
decisions I have had to make as an entrepreneur. Her constant interest
in AKFIT and support for me as often been the driving force
behind my desire to succeed both at work and in life.